The shelter attendant will provide guidance, support and encouragement to the women and children staying at the overnight shelter. The Attendant will maintain a structured and supportive environment while watching over guests to ensure a safe and welcoming atmosphere. The position will be part time with shifts from 4 pm-12 am and 12 am-8 am.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet guests and help guests get checked in.
- Assist in storage of guest’s belongings; including bicycle storage and storage of backpacks, personal things, and animals.
- Interact with guests to listen and offer encouragement
- Enter guest records and notes into the staff log on the computer
- Brief incoming shift on any issues or concerns
- Ensure a quiet and safe environment so guests can sleep comfortably.
- Help guests wake up, clean up bedding, and prepare for departure.
- Lead guests in devotional and prayer
- Mature Christian woman actively living their faith through biblical principles
- Non-smoker who does not indulge in other substances; drugs, alcohol, etc.
- Passion for working with a diverse group of people
- Servant’s heart with a proven ability to work well within a team
- Comfortable and confident working with tense interactions to achieve a positive outcome
- Empathetic, yet discerning while working with the homeless and hurting population; seeks to see lives restored through Christ
- Unquestionable integrity and strength of character
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and display good judgment
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation to and from work
- Commitment to honor TGM Statement of Faith
- Completion of application with acceptable background check and drug screen
- Commitment to work non-traditional hours, when needed
Knowledge and Skills Needed to Perform Effectively in this Position
- Sensitivity and compassion for the homeless, hurting and lower-income population
- Understanding of how the Bible applies to real-life challenges and situations and comfortable referencing it when assisting others.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
- Interviewing/assessment skills complemented by exceptional relationship building skills
- Flexibility to change.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Manages time efficiently.
- Proven crisis management skills, maintaining a calm professional presence.
- Guest-focused and service oriented. Able to manage personal stress while being exposed to complex personalities, problems and needs.
- Complete respect for the privacy of others. Confidentiality is a must.
- Computer literate; Microsoft proficiency
- Must be able to communicate effectively in public and private settings. Bilingual (English-Spanish) is desirable, but not mandatory